Filmmakers TRUE and Bianca interviewed about BLACK PERVERT on Wombanist Views on blogtalkradio, December 2014.
“Production” is the stage of the project in which we are conducting the interviews and producing the content which will later be edited into the final film.
The various communities which have formed around kink are overwhelmingly white. Where does this leave the person who is both Black and kinky, who may experience rejection from the kink community for being Black, and rejection from the Black community for being kinky? How does one navigate double-marginalization?
This feature-length documentary tracks several interlocking stories: those of the experiences of the Black kink community in general, and how it carves out niches where sex, gender, sexual orientation, disability, identity, and kink intersect with race in a so-called “post-racial” society; as well as those of several individuals within the community, as they wrestle with those issues on a personal level.
We will speak with kinky Black folks in a dozen cities across the US – many of whom are decolonizing the term “PERVERT” as a positive self-identifier – as they seek to create sexual lives on their own terms, with a focus on pleasure, healing, joy, and the development of mutually consensual boundaries that are rooted in self-knowledge and self-love.
Our target audience are adults who are interested in Black culture and / or human sexuality and the sexual sub-cultures of fetish and kink – which have become increasingly mainstream with popular media such as 9 1/2 Weeks, Fifty Shades of Grey, the James Franco-produced documentary Kink, The Notorious Bettie Page, Nymphomaniac, The Piano Teacher, Preaching to the Perverted, Pulp Fiction, Quills, Secretary, Sick: The Life and Death of Bob Flanagan, Supermasochist, and many others.
If you are interested in becoming involved with the film, these are the four things we are seeking:
If you would be open to sharing with us on that more intimate level, we would need to know:
We are seeking interviewees in the cities listed below. If you do not see your city or state listed and would like to participate, please reach out to us anyway; if there are enough folks in your area who want to participate, we may make the trip.
* Interviews have already been conducted in these cities, but we intend to return to do more.
Please contact us if you would like to participate.
Thank you very much.
There are many ways you can support the project:
· PROMOTIONAL SUPPORT: Spread the word! Our contact page has links to all our social media: you can “like” us on Facebook, follow or friend us on Fetlife (be sure to join our BLACK PERVERT group!), Instagram, Tumblr, and Twitter! As we seek funding, it really helps to show that we have a passionate and enthusiastic audience that already supports us!
· MOTIVATIONAL SUPPORT: Be in the film, and encourage your personal networks to be in the film as well! We have no film without people willing to share their stories!
· INFORMATIONAL SUPPORT: Pass along any info you hear about grants, fellowships, programs, etc.
· FINANCIAL SUPPORT: Dig in those pockets! Are you eager to be in the film? Eager to see your reflection in the faces of other kinky Black folks who enjoy some of the same things you do? The faster we raise money, the faster we can get around the country to talk to everyone who’s expressed interest.Live in a city not on our list? Get a bunch of your folks together and throw a fundraising event! It can cost thousands of dollars to get even a small crew out to some place like Seattle or Austin or Cleveland – but that’s peanuts to a motivated group of folks who want to bring us to their hometown so that they can represent!
Got frequent flyer miles? Access to discount travel vouchers? A flying carpet? We’re pretty open to all kinds of creative ways of getting us to all the cities on our list.
Interviewing Storm Decay in Algiers, LA.
Interviewing Natalie in San Juan, PR.
Bianca interviewing Roberto Carney in New Orleans, LA.
Interviewing Byrdie of Seattle, WA.
Interviewing Delisia Davis in New Orleans, LA.
Interviewing Robin Wilson-Beattie of Atlanta, GA.
Interviewing Tracey in New Orleans, LA.
Interviewing Jaki in Baltimore, MD.
Interviewing Monet the Sex Sensei in New Orleans, LA.
|back to top|